Whether for work, for pleasure, or for the holidays, traveling is often the culprit of sabotaging health goals.
Between limited food and drink choices and the typical airport madness, the struggle to stay healthy while traveling is REAL. But don’t let it be an excuse to fly into bad habits…no pun intended.
Your journey (travel) should not compromise your destination (weight loss), and that’s exactly why I recommend the power of green juice to anyone who is traveling.
Traveling is not the time to throw your goals out the window. In fact, it’s a time when your body needs extra support. Flood your system with nutrients, boost immunity, and support your gut while on vacation with the Green Routine®.
The Challenges of Jet-Setting
Let's be real—maintaining a healthy routine on the road is no walk in the park (or airport). Here are some of the major challenges you’ll likely face while trying to stay healthy while you’re away from home.
- Limited Options - Airports, train stations, and highway rest stops usually have a limited selection of healthy options. Fast food or convenience stores make it difficult to find nutrient-dense foods.
- Limited Control Over Ingredients - Pre-packaged meals are the norm in airports. Even if you opt for a salad, there will most likely be hidden refined sugars, seed oil-based dressings, poor-quality salt, and low-quality protein.
- Limited Access To Fresh Produce - Depending on the destination, access to fresh fruits and vegetables may be limited, leaving you to rely on processed packaged foods or fast food options.
- Unpredictability - Airports and travel, in general, are unpredictable. Between travel delays and traffic, meal times can get disrupted, leaving you to opt for processed, unhealthy choices.
- Social Pressures - It’s often easier to follow the flock… And that’s very true when you travel in a group, especially for meal times.
- Stress and Fatigue - Jet lag is a real thing. And anyone who has experienced it knows that it’s no fun. Traveling is stressful and tiring. This can cause emotional eating, making us choose options we normally wouldn’t have if we were home.
- Dehydration - Proper hydration is always a challenge when traveling and is often overlooked. If traveling by plane, you can easily get dehydrated due to low humidity levels in airplane cabins . We can get so busy running to our gates that we forget to drink water. It also doesn’t help that you have to toss liquids at the security check.
- Cost - Airport food, in general, is crazy expensive… Let alone some of the healthier options, which are not always truly healthy.
Your Body Needs Extra Support When Traveling
Your body needs a little extra TLC when traveling.
Air travel is tough on your body. It can interfere with your digestion, cause water retention, and even cause pressure headaches.
When you fly, changes in air pressure can leave you at risk for uncomfortable bloating and constipation . This is the not-so-glamorous side of traveling.
You are also exposed to a world of germs from airports to planes and trains, leaving you at risk of getting sick - which is the last thing you need to worry about when you’re going home to visit Grandma or traveling for work.
I have traveled plenty for leisure and work and can confirm that staying healthy while traveling most certainly has its challenges.
Eating healthy can be impossible if you are not prepared, but what If I told you that the answer to your traveling troubles is juice…specifically green juice?
Green Juice on the Go: Sipping Health Whenever, Wherever
I know what you may be thinking. “Do I really need greens when I travel?”
The answer is YES. Flooding your body with green juices while away will drastically reduce the negative physical effects of flying. Plus, it helps you stay on track with cravings and your health goals.
Packing your greens means being prepared. Being prepared ensures that you get in nutritious greens whenever, wherever. So, you never have to settle for those icky rest-stop meals or dreaded airport food.
The chlorophyll in dark leafy greens eliminates cravings while also restoring gut health. This especially comes in handy when dealing with air pressure and elevation, which have been known to cause gut disturbances.
When you travel, you are exposed to a lot more germs than you usually are. Flooding your system with these greens means you’ll prepare your body to defend yourself. Chlorophyll is loaded with vitamins and minerals and has vitamin C, which is essential for your immune health. Chlorophyll truly is a game-changer for immunity.
Getting into the habit of just green juice daily while traveling also ensures you get your nutritional needs met. Never settle for the hotel breakfast bar’s sugary muffins or cereal.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Juice
There’s no way to get your juicer through TSA, but this option works. Keep reading…
Thanks to some specific feedback from a small test group who tried the Green Routine, we learned that it’s actually very simple to travel with your Raw Generation juices, allowing you to keep getting in your greens (and results) every day.
One member of the test group traveled for work 3 out of the 4 weeks during the trial program. She was able to maintain her weight loss results the entire time. These were her recommendations:
1. Pack 4 completely frozen solid bottles in a one-gallon Ziploc bag, so that all 4 bottles are touching, which keeps them frozen for longer. Double the bag to account for condensation. Take the bag(s) out during security check-in. They will need to be scanned but will be allowed to be taken with you.
Tip: If the juices have started to thaw, you may be forced to throw them away. Make sure they are frozen solid when you leave your house.
2. Call ahead to request a mini-fridge for your hotel room so that you have a place to store the juices once you arrive. It’s that simple!
Travel Like a Health-Pro
Whether traveling for work or leisure, you will, of course, want to enjoy special meals and drinks while away. What you don’t want to do is ruin all of the progress you have made toward your health goals. To minimize damage while still being able to enjoy yourself, here are a few simple tips:
- Travel with your juices (directions above).
- Try to find a local supermarket if possible. Stock up on fresh fruits, snacking veggies, hummus, nut butter, etc. You can easily store bananas or apples in your hotel room, while any hummus or dips can be stored in your mini fridge. Having some healthy options on hand will help you stay on track.
- Scope out the area ahead of time. Do a simple search of the area and look into restaurants, cafes, health food stores, and local shops from where you’re staying. You can almost always find juice bars or salad shops with cleaner menu options. This way, you can at least choose healthier things some of the time to help counteract all the unhealthy (yet delicious) foods that you will be enjoying the rest of the time.
- Most importantly, enjoy yourself! Stressing about what you are going to eat can cause more damage than good. Control what you can and let go of what you can’t. This is a major reason as to why I strongly recommend traveling with juices, so you have health at your reach just in case you need it.
Soar Into Healthy Travels
Don’t let traveling steer you in the wrong direction.
When you’re on the go, keeping up with your health goals becomes tricky. The Green Routine® is the simple solution to support you, even when you’re away from home.
Pack your green juice every time so you can flood your body with essential nutrients, protect yourself from airport germs, and keep reaching your health and weight loss goals with ease.