I came up with this recipe in my head, and when I went to actually make it I was shocked at how quick and satisfying it was. We will definitely be exploring the possibilities of creamy vegan soups for weight loss going forward. But for now, here's the first:
Creamy Artichoke & Celery Soup (Raw, Vegan, GF)
Makes 4 pint size servings
- 1/2 c. raw cashews
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2 cans artichoke hearts w/ water
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- filtered water
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Chop 3/4 of the onion and saute in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Chop up 1/2 can of artichoke hearts and thinly slice 1 celery stick, put to the side.
- Put the remainder of the first 5 ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Add extra water if you would like a thinner consistency.
- RAW OPTION: Blend mixture in Vitamix until warm (about 5 minutes or so). Add in other vegetables, eliminating sauteed onion.
- COOKED OPTION: Combine mixture, onions, and chopped celery and artichokes in a pot on the stove and heat to desired temperature.
- Add a healthy dash of avocado oil, and sea salt & pepper to taste.
Serve, eat, enjoy!
Anything heated to a temperature below 118 degrees is still considered raw. Blending for an extended period of time will accomplish a raw soup that is warm. This is really great for me because come October, I'm in full-on-soup-mode and need the warmth and comfort I get from hot, creamy soups. I can't have the cream and butter necessary to make traditional cream soups (I have food allergies), but by using cashews, you can have a plant based soup with a creamy consistency without the dairy. Plus, it gives you the healthy fats needed to fill you up and keep you going.
TIME SAVER: Make a larger batch and freeze individual serving sizes so you'll have a quick meal when you need it.