How many times have you heard… “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”? I’m sure your parents or grandparents likely instilled in you at an early age that having a big breakfast was the best way to start your day. That sentiment has been touted by doctors, fitness experts, food companies, and restaurants for years on end.
Today, I’m here to tell you that eating a big breakfast is exactly what you DO NOT want to do when it comes to weight loss. I know I know… it is a mind-blower. But it is 100% accurate.
Debunking Weight Loss Myths
Bigger does not always mean better. This is especially true when it comes to a balanced breakfast. Many mainstream dietitians recommend that people indulge in high-protein breakfasts like processed protein shakes or scrambled eggs on whole-wheat toast. Or even worse, they recommend sugary cereals or bagels.
The normalized Standard American Diet (SAD—yes, a very sad diet) leads to overeating and weight gain. Not to mention, these heavy breakfast options can cause spikes in blood sugar levels from added sugars, processed ingredients, and lack of nutrients.
To achieve your weight loss goals and keep pounds off for years to come, you need to learn the mentality of eating from light to heavy each day. Start your day “light” and end your day “heavy”.
- “Light” refers to light, hydrating foods like fresh fruits, veggies, juices, and smoothies. This is optimal for your digestion and critical to successfully losing weight and keeping it off. Green juices in the Stay Skinny Method™ make the perfect addition to your weight-loss breakfast.
- Between lunch and dinner (and also included with dinner), you can include other healthy carbohydrates with your fruits or veggies. Examples of these healthy carbs are baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, or whole grains like quinoa. There is no need to worry about portion control with these! Have as much as you like until you are fully satiated.
- “Heavy” refers to healthy fats and lean protein. Healthy fats include raw nuts and seeds, nut butter, avocados, and olive oil. If you would like to eat eggs or a lean source of protein, dinner is the perfect time for those options.
What is the Best Breakfast for Weight Loss?
It’s time to reframe your thoughts around healthy eating. I am not recommending cottage cheese or egg whites with whole-grain toast for your morning meal (boooring). And I am most definitely not recommending breakfast burritos from the gas station.
In my experience, the best breakfast for weight loss and managing cravings is cold-pressed green juices and green smoothies.
Health Benefits of Green Juices and Smoothies at Breakfast
Aside from being a delicious breakfast option, cold-pressed juices and plant-based smoothies have many health benefits.
- Fruit and vegetables are high-fiber foods. Fiber is digested in the body at a slower rate, giving you a feeling of satiety for longer. Smoothies are a great option for this.
- Drinking green juices and smoothies means getting in an abundance of antioxidants that slow the aging process and protect against harmful free radicals.
- Fruits and veggies contain many vitamins and minerals like immunity-boosting vitamin C, hearty-healthy vitamin E, energy-enhancing B vitamins, and bone-strengthening calcium.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Major companies market Greek yogurt or processed protein powders as “healthy breakfast foods” even though they use high amounts of refined sugars that have been proven to cause weight gain.* Other healthier breakfast foods like eggs and avocado toast are better saved for a late afternoon or dinner meal (Remember, light to heavy).
These are some healthy breakfast ideas that will fill you with energy and crush cravings. They are simple and do not require you to cook or extensively meal prep.
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juices
- Smoothies made from fruits and leafy greens
- Seasonal fruit
- Fruit-based smoothie breakfast bowl - You can add a low-fat clean granola (no inflammatory oils or processed ingredients)
- Overnight oats made with blueberries, raspberries, or seasonal fruit
- Chia pudding simply made with chia seeds, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and a hint of pure maple syrup
Nutritionist Tip: Avoid food trends like low-carb, low-calorie, or keto-style protein-packed breakfasts
The Stay Skinny Method™ For Weight Loss
The Stay Skinny Method™ was designed to be a post-cleanse weekly weight loss system to help you keep off the cleanse weight and then continue to lose up to an additional 2-3 pounds* each week. However, even if you don’t want to cleanse first, this tried and true method can help you meet your weight loss goals in a convenient and sustainable way.
This methodology for weight loss is likely the opposite of what you’ve been told in the past. However, it is the result of a lifetime of personal experience and nearly 20 years of professional experience assisting hundreds of clients on their weight loss journeys.
I can say with confidence that the Stay Skinny Method™ for weight loss WORKS.