Have you hit that stage where you bought a ton of produce and it all ripened at around the same time? Now you’re floundering, trying to eat or use up as much as you can before it all goes to waste?
Not to fear…there is always an efficient use for your ripe produce!
Ripe fruits are super sweet and delicious. They can be eaten a lot longer than we have been traditionally led to believe. Unless they are bruised and overly mushy, eat and enjoy them! If you over-bought or they went a little too far, the best advice I can give you is to freeze them. Ripe produce makes the BEST tasting smoothies and ice creams, fresh or frozen!
How to Freeze Ripe Produce:
- Bananas can be peeled and frozen in gallon plastic freezer bags
- Berries can be rinsed, dried, and frozen in plastic freezer bags
- Pineapple & Mangos can be peeled, diced and frozen in plastic freezer bags
- Peaches, Nectarines, & Plums can be cut into chunks, including the skin, and frozen in plastic freezer bags
- Melons can be cut into chunks and frozen in plastic freezer bags
- Leafy greens can be juiced or pureed, and poured into ice cube trays and frozen. They can then be popped out right into your blender for your quick and easy green smoothie goodness!
Remember, of course, that fresh is always best, but freezing is a GREAT way to utilize what you bought without waste.