We spoke to the wellness industry’s leading experts to find out which drinks, when consumed first thing in the morning or any time, will greatly improve your day. Here they are:
1. Smoothie with dark green leafy vegetables. “These are packed with vitamins, minerals, and complete proteins that will help you feel energized all day, and so drinking green juice first thing in the morning is one of the best things you can do to start your day off on the right track,” Jessica Rosen, certified holistic health coach and co-founder of Raw Generation exclusively tells us.
“In addition, vitamin C is strongly implicated in the body’s production of mood-boosting endorphins, and leafy greens like spinach are one of the richest vegetable sources. Make green juice a habit and amp your endorphins! Try starting your day with Raw Generation’s Refresh & Revitalize juice instead of your ordinary solid breakfast. Green juice doesn’t use up your body’s energy on digestion. It instead uses that extra energy you’ll have to heal itself and burn fat. As a result, you have more energy, look, and feel better!”
2. Hemp milk. “Often when we feel down, the root cause is actually a lack of essential nutrition. Hemp seeds are one of the most nutritionally complete foods in the world, so starting your day with a hemp milk great way to fuel up with a concentrated dose of mood-boosting nutrition!” Rosen explains. “For example, a deficiency in amino acids, B vitamins, or magnesium can have a major negative impact on the way you feel each day; hemp is loaded with all of the above! Hemp seeds also provide Gamma-Linolenic acid which helps balance hormones and reduces symptoms of PMS!” Rosen suggests the Raw Generation Vitality & Vibrance hemp smoothie.
3. Activated charcoal. “When consumed, it has the effect of trapping and eliminating detrimental toxins from the GI tract,” Rosen explains. “The jury is still out on whether activated charcoal can actually impact your mood, but eliminating toxicity from your body can only serve to benefit your mood. Particularly after a night of indulging in alcohol, adding a teaspoon of activated charcoal to your lemon water will help to negate hangover symptoms and begin the day feeling your best.”
4. This mood-boosting matcha green tea. “Here’s a mood-boosting drink you can make at home!” Rosen dishes. “It’s made with matcha green tea which provides a crash-free caffeine boost plus mood-enhancing amino acid l-theanine for relaxed, jitter-free energy. L-Theanine not only slows the release of caffeine (minimizing the crash!), it enhances your mood, boosting levels of GABA, dopamine, and serotonin, the brain’s happy neurotransmitters. Simply blend 1 tsp. of matcha green tea with your preferred amount of fresh melon, water, and manuka honey (to taste) and enjoy!
5. A smoothie high in folates and antioxidants. “There have been several studies that show a strong correlation between lowering homocysteine (an amino acid) and increased mood,” Holly Harding, Holistic Health Counselor, INHC, AADP and Founder of O’o Hawaii, exclusively tells SheFinds. “Lowering homocysteine can be done by increasing foods rich in folates and antioxidants. Green vegetables and beans are a primary source of folic acid. Antioxidants come from berries, green vegetables and a variety of herbs and spices. One of the reasons we feel great when we sip a glass of red wine is because of the high levels of polyphenol antioxidants. The darker the wine (a Malbec or a Cabernet) the greater the higher the antioxidants.
Here is a smoothie recipe that’s high in folates and antioxidants:
Antioxidant Smoothie Recipe
– 1 cup spinach
– 1 cup choy sum (or romaine)
– 1 banana (frozen is best)
– 1 cup coconut or almond milk
– 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
-1/2 cup raspberries
– 1 Scoop almond butter
– ¼ of a lemon juice
– 1/5 of a pineapple
– Optional: 1 tsp. blue-green algae or spirulina
1. Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or other blender starting on the lowest speed and gradually move to higher speeds, blending until completely smooth. Refrigerate or drink immediately.
by JUSTINE SCHWARTZ