Raw Apple Pie
For the Crust:
- 2 Cups dried figs
- 1 Cup pitted and packed Medjool dates
- 3/4 Cup raw walnuts
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Add the figs, dates, walnuts, vanilla bean seeds, cinnamon, and salt to a food processor. Pulse the mixture a few times and then process until you have a crumbly, sticky mixture (about 1 minute).
- Line the bottom of a 10” round tart pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with coconut oil.
- Pour the crust mixture into the tart pan, and use your hands to press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides to form a crust (tip: if the mixture is sticking to your hands, use a sheet of parchment and a lemon to roll it out.)
- Transfer the tart pan to the freezer for at least 30 minutes to set.
For the Apple Filling:
- 5 large gala apples, peeled and cored, divided
- 1/2 Cup pitted and packed Medjool dates
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. white or black chia seed powder (whole chia seeds work fine as well)
- After you’ve peeled and cored the apples, roughly chop two of them.
- Add apples to food processor along with Medjool dates, cinnamon, chia powder, and nutmeg. Pulse the mixture a few times and then process for 2-3 minutes or until a smooth apple-sauce-like texture is reached. You’ll need to stop frequently to scrape the mixture down the sides of your food processor.
- Thinly slice your other three peeled and cored apples and add the cubes to the bowl with the apple-date mixture. Toss to coat.
For the Cinnamon-Pecan Streusel
- 1/4 Cup raw pecans
- 1/4 Cup raw coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Add the pecans, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and cinnamon to a food processor. Pulse until you have a coarse crumble.
To Assemble the Pie:
- Remove your crust from the freezer. Pour in the apple mixture and use a spatula to spread it evenly into the crust.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon-pecan streusel over the apple layer and return the pie to the freezer for one hour to set.
- Remove from freezer, slice, and serve.
Cinnamon Ice "Cream"
What goes better with Apple Pie than ice cream? Our Cashew Smoothie makes a delicious dairy substitute for crafting recipes like this homemade frozen treat!
- 3 ½ frozen bananas
- 1 bottle of Cashew Smoothie
- Combine cashew milk with bananas in blender and puree until smooth. For best results place blender container with mixture in freezer for about 10-15 minutes. Remove, blend again, and repeat until firm but creamy.
Optional: Add a pinch of salt to your mixture for more of a savory taste OR add a few dates to amp up the sweetness.