This delicious recipe is super simple, spreadable, and full of healthy fats, fiber, and protein!
- 1 cup RAW cashews
- 2 Tablespoons water or unsweetened plant-based milk (adjust as needed)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¾ teaspoon salt (Himalayan salt is best!)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: Add 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast for an extra “cheesy” flavor
You’ll need: A food processor
- Submerge your cashews in water and let them soak for at least 3 hours. You can soak them overnight if you like, up to 10 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Put all of your ingredients EXCEPT FOR the water/plant-based milk in your food processor. Pulse repeatedly to break the cashews down, until they form a coarse, wet meal then scrape the sides of the food processor down with a spatula or a large spoon.
- Turn the food processor back on and slowly add the water/plant-based milk while the motor is running. Pause periodically to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- When your cashew cheese is fully blended, it will be smooth and thick, resembling the consistency of hummus. Add more salt, pepper, and lemon juice according to your own taste preferences.
How to Serve & Store
Serve with your favorite sliced vegetables or fruit (apple slices, for example), fold into warm quinoa, rice, or gluten-free pasta dishes, or dollop on top of soups/stews. You can even use your cashew creation as a replacement filling in recipes that call for ricotta cheese (Crepes! Eggplant rollatini! Raw lasagna!).
Try adding your favorite herbs and seasonings like basil, dill, chives, sun-dried tomatoes, dried fruit, a drizzle of raw honey...
If you prefer a firmer cheese, wrap your cashew cheese in cheesecloth, and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
For more of a cheese sauce à la mac n’ cheese, increase your ratio of liquid to cashew. Gradually add more water or plant-based milk until you achieve your desired consistency.
Refrigerated in an airtight container, your cashew cheese will stay fresh for about 5 days.