If you’re reading this, it's not unlikely that you're already aware that a raw juice cleanse is an awesomely effective way to detoxify and refresh your body. Cold-pressed raw juice quickly reaches your vital organs, resets your body, re-oxygenates your blood, flushes out fat, and neutralizes the unhealthy, disease-promoting acidic state caused by the typical American diet.
In addition to a juice cleanse habit, subtle shifts in your everyday routine can have a far-reaching impact on your overall well-being. The devil is in the details!
These 5 simple practices will cleanse your body, fight fat, prevent disease, clean up your skin, clarify your mind, and help you purge toxicity from your life...
1. Get upside-down
A well-circulated lymphatic system is critical to maintaining good health!
Comprised of a network of organs and tissues, the lymphatic system works to remove toxins from the body by transporting lymph fluid throughout. Lymph fluid contains infection-fighting white blood cells which travel through the body collecting toxic waste.
When the lymphatic fluid is not circulating properly, it leads to weakened immunity, inflammation, and excessive toxicity in other tissues of the body- setting the stage for illness and dysfunction.
Unlike the circulatory system, the lymphatic system does not have its own pump. Therefore, you must take action to keep your lymphatic system well-circulated. Otherwise, the lymph fluid becomes stagnant.
One of the best ways to circulate lymph fluid and escalate the rate at which it is cleaned and filtered is to invert yourself upside-down a.k.a. pose with your pelvis and feet above your heart.
If you are able to do a handstand or headstand, aim to make it a daily practice! If balance and upper body strength aren’t your forte, instead try doing supported shoulder stands. Another option is to use an inversion table, which enables you to safely lie upside down while strapped by your feet.
2. Use a Himalayan salt lamp
Himalayan salt lamps are not only perfect for setting a chill mood and ambiance in your home, they are a natural anti-microbial ionizer that deodorizes and cleanses the air.
Additionally, the negative ions released when the lamp is warmed by a bulb help to purify the skin. Placing your hands or feet on the salt pulls toxins out of the body and puts minerals in, helping to balance the body’s internal pH and combat acidity
Some of the benefits of using a Himalayan salt lamp include improved concentration, a more peaceful and positive mood, and better circulation. Users commonly report relief from fatigue, stress, aches, and pains.
3. Drink warm lemon water
Each day, before you eat or drink anything else, drink a glass of warm lemon water!
This practice first thing in the morning balances the body’s internal pH and combats inflammation, both of which are essential for promoting healthy weight loss. Starting the day with a glass of warm lemon water promotes detoxification, stronger immunity, improved digestive health, and more youthful and clear skin!
4. Spice up your life
Inflammation is the natural healing response to any factor that disrupts the body’s delicate equilibrium. By default, the inflammatory response is not a bad thing, but when not kept in check, it will eventually wreak havoc on your health, weight, and appearance.
There are many everyday factors that exacerbate inflammation, so it’s essential that you fill your diet with an assortment of anti-inflammatory foods on a regular basis.
Detoxify, fight inflammation, and improve your health simply by adding more flavor to your food! Spices and herbs are particularly rich sources of antioxidants, possessing high concentrations of powerful compounds that inhibit the body’s inflammatory response.
Here are just a few of the best anti-inflammatory, detoxifying spices and herbs to make a part of your next meal…..
- Turmeric - THE most effective anti-inflammatory food! Curcumin, the primary compound in turmeric, is an antioxidant phytochemical which prevents cell death and reduces signs of aging. It also suppresses the activity of certain harmful molecular factors that promote cancer, damage joints, and destroy tissues of the body. Pair turmeric with black pepper and increase curcumin absorption by a 2,000 percent!
- Cinnamon - A very rich source of antioxidant polyphenols. Polyphenols protect the body's tissues against oxidative stress, defending against damaging inflammation.
- Cilantro - Binds to and eliminates heavy metals from the body, the accumulation of which can result in an array of unpleasant chronic conditions. In our industrialized world, heavy metal detoxification is crucial to maintaining good health.
- Cayenne pepper - Especially rich in capsaicin, an anti-inflammatory compound with effects that can be compared to the effectiveness of NSAIDs.
- Ginger - Anti-inflammatory properties provide a boost to the circulatory system, and a healthy circulatory system also improves immune function. Ginger also enhances the body’s ability to absorb nutrients from food (and what you’re taking into your body is just as critical to detoxification as what you’re taking out!).
5. Brainwash yourself
A.k.a. SLEEP! Okay, maybe DUH on this one. We all know how important sleep is but get this...
Dr. Maiken Nedergaard, a Danish neuroscientist has found new, increasing evidence that the brain actually physically cleanses itself of harmful toxic substances during sleep.
Unlike the rest of the body, the brain has no lymph fluid. Rather, it has Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and a "glymphatic system" in charge of cellular cleansing. CSF flows particularly actively when you are asleep, removing waste proteins that build between brain cells during your waking hours.
What this indicates is that when you don’t get enough sleep, your brain does not fully complete the purification process, setting you up for less-than-sharp mental function. These brain toxins are also strongly implicated in cognitive decline, dementia, and Alzheimer's.
According to Dr. Nedergaard:
"The brain only has limited energy at its disposal and it appears that it must [choose] between two different functional states - awake and aware or asleep and cleaning up. You can think of it like having a house party. You can either entertain the guests or clean up the house, but you can't really do both at the same time."
Sounds like a damn good reason to be proactive about making quality Zzz’s a priority!