“Where do you get your protein?”
Day in and day out, I hear this question…sometimes in concern, sometimes disbelief, sometimes disgust, and sometimes just with genuine interest. (Those are my favorite kind to answer!)
My answer is always the same…I get my protein the same exact place as the cows get their protein…dark, leafy greens! After all, if vegetation can support huge, muscular cows, they can certainly support a smaller-framed person like myself.
Once per ounce, kale has more protein and iron than a piece of steak. How is this possible? …Plant-based protein is bioavailable protein, meaning that it is readily usable and absorbable by our bodies because it is in its natural, unadulterated form. Whereas we may only be able to utilize a small percentage of the protein in a piece of meat (because it has been cooked, and the enzymes and vital nutrients denatured), we can and do utilize ALL the protein in a piece of kale. It’s what we call “Living Nutrition”. Fuel your body with optimum foods, and it will provide you with health and energy, deficiency-free!
With that in mind, here is a delectable, protein-packed recipe that I know you will enjoy!
Avocado Kale Salad
- 1 head kale, shredded, no stems
- 1 large avocado, roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls grated carrot
- 2 handfuls grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Toss all ingredients together in mixing bowl. Squeeze as you mix to 'wilt' the kale and to cream the avocado. This tastes best when served immediately.