MILK. It does a body good. Remember that campaign? Yeah me too, because it was everywhere. Well, fast forward to now and dairy-free is becoming more and more popular. Why? Because there are so many people that cannot "stomach" it. Literally.... the majority of people today either are allergic to dairy or cannot digest it (actually two different problems).
Being allergic to dairy (which is often physically undetectable) means that when you eat dairy you actually have an immune response... basically your immune system goes on the attack, which causes a whole host of other health issues.
Not being able to digest dairy (it physically makes you ill with stomach or digestive issues) means your body is unable to digest the sugar (lactose) in milk.
Either way... dairy is no good for most people but is a staple in most meals. So how do you get around that? #1 read ingredient lists. #2 stock up on homemade nut milks and drink away! Here are a couple quick ideas (and I am serious when I say quick) that can be made in 2 minutes.
BASIC NUT MILK RECIPE
- 1 c. nuts (cashews, almond, hazelnut, hemp seeds, etc.)
- 4 c. filtered water
- sweetener of choice (2 tbsp. raw honey or 5 dates)
- spice of choice: cinnamon, raw cacao powder, coconut, etc.
- dash of organic vanilla extract
- Put all ingredients in a Vitamix (or similar)
- Blend on high for 30-45 seconds, or until there are no more bits left
- Nuts like almonds will need to be strained with a cheese cloth before being consumed.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
You can do this with coconut milk as well. I buy the cans of organic coconut milk (the cream will rise to the top and the water will be below it), and follow the same recipe above, replacing the nuts portion with a can of coconut milk.
These are a great replacement for regular milk with just about anything- cereal, granola, smoothies, baking, whatever!
Download our FREE DIY Guide to Homemade Dairy-Free Milks!
Our cashew milk smoothie is so delicious, you won't even realize it's healthy...