It’s that defining moment. You’ve just finished a juice cleanse, and now you must decide what you are going to eat. If you don’t make the conscious decision to continue on your path towards health and wellness with simple, whole and healthy recipes and foods, it is possible to gain back the weight you just lost.
But don’t fret, by following the tips below you can keep the weight off and your energy up long-term, without depriving yourself of food.
How to Maintain Results After a Cleanse
- Eat and drink a diverse variety of RAW fruits and vegetables daily, especially greens like kale, spinach, collards, wheatgrass and Swiss chard. Count your fruit and vegetable servings instead of calories or grams of fat. The more raw nutrition you feed your body, the easier it will be to maintain your results (and keep them going).
- Avoid wheat and other grains with gluten, refined sugar/sugary foods, processed foods, fried foods, dairy, and alcohol. These foods are easy to overeat and lead to weight gain. Stay away from almost everything sold in the middle of the grocery store and don’t buy anything with ingredients you can’t pronounce.
- Incorporate green juice into your daily routine. Keep your freezer stocked for convenient, instant, caffeine-free energy each morning and all the nutrients your body needs to burn fat and beat junk food cravings.
- In addition to raw fruit and vegetables, focus on whole, plant-based foods like nuts and seeds. Eat healthy fats like extra virgin coconut or olive oil, avocados, and raw nuts. Replace milk and dairy products with substitutes made with ingredients like coconut, hemp, or almond.
- Drink plenty of fluids. This includes plenty of water before each meal and hydrating fluids like coconut water, fresh juice, and herbal teas.
- Don’t deprive yourself. When you’re hungry, stop and eat. Eat dessert if you want, too. There are plenty of satisfying sweets and comfort foods that won’t sabotage your waistline. In need of inspiration? Find easy plant-based recipes and desserts in our Skinny Eats E-book.
- If you’re going out to a social event later in the day, be sure to start your day with a healthy breakfast. When dining out, order vegetables with everything. If you order salad, skip the creamy dressings and opt for vinaigrette.
- Ask for substitutions. Most restaurants understand dietary restrictions so speak up (i.e. skip the butter and request olive oil instead). Have a one drink maximum, and as soon as you get home, drink a tall glass of water or a hydrating juice.
- Your body hears everything your mind says. Speak to yourself in positive affirmations! Visualize yourself succeeding!
- Don’t set lofty goals. Set systems in place. In order to manifest lasting change, you have to create healthy habits and then repeat them daily until they become second nature. Consistency is key.
- Develop a morning routine. This includes waking up at the same time every day, and drinking water with lemon and/or raw apple cider vinegar. Then have a green juice or smoothie. Instead of grain-based breakfasts, which can cause a mid-morning crash (cereal, waffles, toast, etc.), eat high protein foods for stable energy levels like chia seeds, a green smoothie, or organic eggs. Get some exercise. Meditate to lower stress and cortisol levels, which support weight loss. And lastly, expose yourself to bright, natural light. This will help you feel more energized and lift your mood which sets you up for success in maintaining your weight loss!
Interested in trying some juice recipes at home? Download our 30 juices e-book for some delicious and healthy home weight-loss options.
Get more tips for life after juice cleansing here.